Using poetry to bring awareness and energy to walks that explore the sublime in everyday life.
Walking with Awareness is a workshop that helps walkers explore the unseen beauty in each place. Walkers will explore the world like a toddler, looking and inspecting all of the interesting things on a walk, from bugs to rocks, to the changing season.
- Encourage walkers to spend more time in their everyday lives looking for the beauty and newness on their walks.
- Create a new lens for people to use their senses to experience nature around them.
- Take workshop tools back to their everyday lives.
Concrete poetry image
Sarah can present to groups of all shapes and size. Please contact us to set up a consultation meeting. Most walks last 60-90 minutes.
About the Presenter:
Sarah Shapiro is a poet, visual artist, and rambler. She has taught courses at UMass Boston including Composition, Creative Writing, Osher Long Life Institute, Suffolk County Correctional Facility, and Harvard Graduate School of Design. Sarah holds an MFA in Poetry from UMass Boston. She also holds an MA in Cultural Geography and Creative Writing from Royal Holloway, University of London and a BA in Environmental Studies from Mount Holyoke College. Her chapbook is The Bullshit Cosmos, published in July 2019 by ignitionpress of Oxford Brookes University. Her past and ongoing projects include:
- New Post Occupancy – research project visiting and documenting New Deal era post offices
- #SublimeCity / #WalkYourCity – a subversive Instagram series that brings the language(s) of nature(s) into the city and creates safer public space for women through solo city walks via @Shapi20s
- Sounds With Sarah – an aural experience of walking available in all podcast players